In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC initially started an emergency response programme in Nigeria to respond to the humanitarian needs.
In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC initially started activities in the areas of Food Security & Livelihood, Water and Sanitation, Shelter/NFI sectors and subsequently Education
Position: ICLA Technical Assistant
Location: Borno, Nigeria
Commencement: As soon as possible
Contract period: 31st December 2017 (with possibility of extension)
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
Duty station: Maiduguri, Borno State
As part of the emergency response, the main focus for NRC will be targeted at the provision of protection through the ICLA legal aid program for conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC is implementing activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter sectors. NRC will implement the Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) programme to assist people affected by displacement to exercise their Housing Land & property rights and identity documentation rights including civil documentation. NRC is therefore seeking an ICLA Project Officer in Maiduguri, Nigeria for 2017. The ICLA Technical Assistant reports to the ICLA Project Officer based in Maiduguri. The ICLA Technical Assistant will contribute and assist the ICLA Project Officer in the following activities:
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by supervisor
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities to ensure accountability.
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Perform any other duties as requested by the ICLA Project Coordinator and ICLA Programme Manager
- Provision of Information counselling and legal assistance on Housing Land and Property
- Provision of Information Counselling and legal assistance on Identity documentation
- Facilitation of capacity building training son Housing land and property and Collaborative Dispute resolution
- Contribute to the monitoring and evaluation of activities and collect evidence to inform advocacy initiatives around HLP and ID issues.
- Participate and contribute in the development of the ICLA core competency strategy
- University Degree in Law from a recognized Nigerian University, and a thorough knowledge of Nigerian law.
- Work experience in the field of law (e.g. courts, attorney or legal aid agencies), preferably experience in working with clients.
- Valid membership to the Nigerian BAR Association .
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- High-level competency in computer skills (Microsoft Office applications)
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Fluency in Hausa, kanuri, Bade, Bolewa, kare-kare is an added advantage
- Must be willing to work as a team member, take direction, and share technical skills with colleagues and counterparts
- Must be able to work under pressure
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Handling insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable We offer
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate can submit their application letter, updated CV and a copy of a National Identification (Driver’s License, Voters Card, National Passport, or National Identity Card) to the following e-mail address: [email protected] The title of the position must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail.
Submit hard copies of application letter, updated CV and a copy of a National Identification (Driver’s License, Voters Card, National Passport, or National Identity Card) in a sealed envelope at:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) Office in Maiduguri
Plot 8/10 Jimina Street off Damboa Road,
Maiduguri, Borno State.
The title of the position (Warehouse Store Keeper - Maiduguri) must be clearly indicated on the envelope.
Any application received after the deadline will not be considered. Please notice that due to the volume of applications only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisting will be done on a roll in basis, candidates are advised to apply on time. The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position